Sleep Tips for Those Hot Summer Nights (Without AC)
If you’re one of the lucky ones without air conditioning at home, or you’re hesitant to rack up a hefty electric bill, you might be looking for some ways to keep cool at night. Sure, fans are always an option, but what else can you do?
Here are some of the best tips that we found:
- Frozen Peas - pull a bag of peas out of the freezer on your way to bed. Lay down and place them on your forehead or under your pillow, depending on just how warm you are.
- Bamboo Sheets - bamboo sheets retain significantly less heat than polyester, silk, or even cotton. Beyond material, color can make a difference too—stick to the lighter ones and avoid deep blues and browns. Browse our collection of bamboo sheets today!
- Give Yourself the Chills - gently run your fingers along your arm and you’ll feel chills in an instant!
- Cold Showers - cooling off with a cold shower before jumping into bed will lower your body temperature. It won’t last all night, but it should help until you fall asleep!
- Repurpose the Towel - take the towel you used after your shower, and soak it in cold water for 10 minutes. Then, wring it out and hang it in front of your open window. Any breeze coming in through the window will run into the cold towel, delivering cool air to your room.
- Shut the Blinds - prepare for warm nights by thinking ahead throughout the day. Close your blinds during the day to prevent warm sunlight from filling the room with heat.
- Unplug Electronics - electronics give off heat, even when turned off. Unplug them to stop the electricity from flowing and causing heat. Plus, you’ll save on your electric bill!
- Rethink Meals - filling up with a hearty dinner of steak and potatoes before bed is sure to leave you feeling warmer than normal. Stick to cold or room-temperature meals like salads or sandwiches. Plus, avoiding the stove and oven will prevent additional heat in the house.
- Mattress Protectors - some mattress covers use new performance material that will also help you sleep cooler. Our OmniGuard® Advance mattress protector is quiet and cool, while providing premium protection for your mattress. You can purchase them online or in any Jonathan Stevens store.
What other tricks have worked for you?